James R. Huntwork
Industry & Practice
- Yale Law School, J.D.
Note and Comment Editor,
Yale Law Journal
- Yale University, M.A., Economics,
Shimer College, B.A., with distinction
- Direct: (602) 801–9077
- Email: [email protected]
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of Arizona
- Maricopa County Bar
- State Bar of Massachusetts (inactive)
Jim assists clients, often in a multi-jurisdictional transactions, in buying, financing, developing, leasing and selling real estate and related assets, including: structuring joint ventures among developers, investors and landowners; financing real estate acquisition and development through equity investment, mezzanine lending and asset-based lending (both lender and borrower representation); developing retail projects, including site acquisition, master planning and leasing (both landlord and tenant representation); buying and selling electrical generation and transmission facilities; and structuring public/private real estate ventures.
Representative Professional Experience
- Developed standard forms and procedures for equity investments and mezzanine loan transactions for a Columbus OH insurance company.
- Served as the lead real estate counsel for a retail company while it grew from less than 10 stores into a Fortune 500 retailer with more than 400 “big box” stores internationally.
- Represented a major utility in acquiring and disposing of interests in electrical generating stations, including related switchyards and transmission facilities.
- Represented the developer of a 500,000 square foot class A high-rise office building, including a condominiumized parking garage beneath a public park.
- Represented the developer of a 500-acre commercial, industrial and research center based on a 99-year ground lease of municipal land.
- Represented the developer of a 1000-acre residential subdivision financed by a retirement fund for public employees.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law (1987 to present)
- Southwest Super Lawyers (10 years)
- 1000 “People to Know in Arizona Real Estate”, AZRE magazine
- Recipient of the Judge Learned Hand Human Relations Award from the American Jewish Committee for work on monitoring elections and business law reform in the former Soviet Union
Professional & Civic Activities
- Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission, first person appointed to Arizona’s Independent Redistricting Commission, which was formed by a ballot initiative in the 2000 general election. (The IRC draws the boundaries of Arizona’s legislative and Congressional districts.)
- Economic Development Boards, Phoenix Economic Growth Corporation (Executive Committee) and City of Phoenix NAFTA Task Force
- Heard Museum of Native Arts and Cultures, Board of Trustees
- Arizona Bar Association, Real Estate Section Board of Governors